Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Radio Serial Narrative

So, I have lots of thoughts about the Radio Serial Narrative; The Mystery of the Diamond Studded Belt.  I don't listen to a lot of old radio shows, but I did used to listen to some, sometimes when I was a child. I'm also fairly unfamiliar with what technology can do--
That being said, I was pretty impressed with the sound effects of the radio show.  I found them to be spot on, clear, and well done.
I think the commercial interruption detail is cute and a thoughtful addition.
Throughout the show I found myself wondering if the drama/style of everything was completely serious, supposed to be humorous, how much is based on old radio shows and attempting to be accurate, what is maybe playing on dramatic serial narratives like Breaking Bad, and how much is maybe a parody of old radio shows, if any.
I think the juxtaposition of old radio style and modern dialogue is neat and works for the most part.  In some spots the dialogue could have been smoother-I didn't know what was actin, conveying emotions, and what was trying to translate different feelings (of old radio shows and modern dramas), all of the time.
I didn't understand all of the slang either, but I liked that it was in the dialogue, it definitely has a place.  Though I was confused by the gender pronoun play-calling male voices dames and female voices sirs...

I don't know if I missed something but the plot doesn't seem to make sense with the title for me-since there isn't a mention of a diamond studded belt, unless I missed it..?
Who is the audience?
The self reflection/narration/questioning adds suspense drama, humor, and informs listeners, which is nifty.
And!  The insane ending! Molly got shot, whatever could happen?  This was great, just like all of the serial narratives we've been studying all semester--create all the drama to bring observers (in this case, listeners) back.
All in all I enjoyed this radio show, and am glad to have had the chance to check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment